Friday, November 16, 2012

The Big Easy!

New Orleans, vacation
Jackson Square
As I alluded to in a post last week, I recently went to New Orleans! I didn't want to report on it until I got my pictures sorted out to share and now they are.

This was a trip I had been thinking about doing for a while. I always had the fall in mind as well for when to go. This fall all the pieces came together and I made it happen! It was just me and a friend and we went down at the beginning of the month for a long weekend. It. Was. A. Blast. There is no place like New Orleans. Nadda. One of the initial motivators for me was that I heard it was kind of like Vegas, and outdoor Vegas. And I really liked Vegas. After being there, I can totally see why! It's the same party-party atmosphere and energy, everyone is having adult beverages all day long and on the streets, and when you're on Bourbon street it's just bar after bar after bar. It's crazy!

On top of ALL that it's a gorgeous city. I'm not one to say "ooooh, it's full of culture and history", but man, is it EVER full of culture and history! We went on a couple of tours that showed us around the French Quarter (where we stayed) and learned so many interesting things about that history. It was actually super cool and added to the experience. The horse and buggy ride around the French Quarter was recommended to me and surprisingly was one of my favourite parts of the trip! As far as the culture it's so cool and laid back. The buildings are French, Spanish, and Caribbean inspired architecture - at least during the rebuild after the great fire of New Orleans (see, history!). It's a very unique look. It seems like wherever you go you can always hear jazz or blues music in the air. The food is unique too! Creole and Cajun. Lots of seafood (but lots of NON seafood choices for someone like me who doesn't prefer it). There's something for everyone! Also worth mentioning was that everyone we met was super friendly! 

It was a place that was on my bucket list and I can now check it off! If you've not been, I highly recommend it. I think it's only a matter of time before I make my way back there... :)


New Orleans

New Orleans
Must-try New Orleans cocktails from right: Pat O'Briens (World Famous) Hurricane, Hand Grenade, Shark Attack - with names that like, it's a wonder we survived!

No comments:

Post a Comment